Wednesday, August 30, 2006

How I became me...

Well well well, after all these years I finally get the skinny on how my mum and dad met and unlitmately created moi. I know I know they did a great job cause damn I'm cool!

So here it is, drumroll.... direct from Mary Rivett

It was late December 1967. I was invited as a member of the Williamstown Sea Ranger Group to wait tables at the Williamstown Mayoral Staff Christmas Ball with a number of other girls.
Seated at our table was Kathy Rivett whose father worked as a carpenter for the Williamstown City Council. To make up numbers at the table was her brother and sister and a couple of her friends. Shy me, as I was in those days, in between meals I was seated next to Kevin, Kathy's brother. Throughout the night Kevin was pestering Kathy's friend Dianne, who became very rude towards him and did not appreciate his advances. I jokingly said I think you are wasting your time, I think I was embarrassed for him. As the night progressed he asked me to dance and chat, not that I remeber all the details. At the end of the night he asked me how I was getting home and I said I was walking home but I had an inkling that Dad may come out to get me. Kevin told his parents he was walking me home, but we didn't get far because my mother & father arrived to drive me home (cause it was pased the time when I was supposed to be home). Mum was shocked to see her shy daughter walking hand in hand with a boy!
During the evening conversations I must have said where I worked and with his sisters help located my work phone number, on arrival at 8:15am the following Monday Morning I was greeted by the resident cleaner that a boy had rung asking for me at 7.30 am!!!! He rang again later that day and asked me out for the following Friday night, I think it may have been THE SOUND OF MUSIC. We travelled by train and walked in those days but with Kevin being 11 months and three weeks younger he couldn't have driven any way but in the following year he proceded to be the proud owner of an old Morris Minor.
Many stories and a lot of drama later we eventually married on September 19, 1970 at the Williamstown Anglican Church.

Well there you have it! Do you all need a tissue after reading that? Damn my damn was a panther!!

This is a photo of my mum in her guides outfit and one of my dead also from around the same time. Funnily both were taken in the parents backyards.



And here they are in 2005:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home